Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Awesome, awesome week

This last week was spring break, and it was delightful in every way. We left a week ago today flying from Hays to Denver, and then on to Phoenix. Our flights were wonderful, and I didn't even experience the ear pain (thanks to Earplanes earplugs). Cameron picked us up at the airport about 2:00 and we had time for a tour of Cameron and Kelly's beautiful home and to help a little before their guests arrived for their housewarming party. The party was delightful, food was yummy, and company was awesome! Who would think you could have an outdoor party by a pool in March? We don't think of that because we live Hays, Kansas where it could easily snow in March. :( We headed to the guest room for a good night's sleep and felt like we were in the Marriott!! Cameron and Kelly are wonderful, wonderful hosts....Sunday we went to 32 Shea for coffee and breakfast, and then to McDowell Mountain Church. We ate at BJ's Pizza, and hung out at Cam and Kelly's. Monday found Diana, Kelly, and I getting pedicures (we all got a hibiscus painted on our big toenails with a small "diamond" center). After the "foot pampering" we went to Beauty Brands to buy my favorite hair products, and then went to lunch at a cute lunch place in Scottsdale, I think, called Arcadia Farms. We shopped Old Scottsdale, and for a refreshing late afternoon treat went to SPRINKLES! I had no idea it was famous until I came home and Chelsea told me that is where Katie Holmes gets her cupcakes. Well, in LA, not in Scottsdale. They were beyond delicious. We each ate tastes on the way home, and then divided them into sections so all the guys could taste them after dinner at Kirk and Diana's. Which, by the way was a traditional dinner of spaghetti & meatballs, salad and toasted french bread. We looked at a video I had taped of Chelsea, Carson, and Easton, and then played Wii bowling. Tuesday Cameron was off and by then the weather was warming up, and we enjoyed their beautiful home and them! We ate at McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant at the Biltmore. On Wednesday, we drove to Sedona and had Starbucks and muffins on the way. Sedona is gorgeous and we loved the views.We walked around and looked at art galleries and in charming little shops and ate at a cowboy grill for lunch. We decided to go on a Pink Jeep Tour of Coyote Canyon. What a wild ride! Could it have been bumpier? I made a funny video while we were bumping along (or pitching forward) looking at Arizona cacti and wildflowers and the red mesas and buttes. The afternoon went so quickly and we headed back to Phoenix and went to Fry's food store to get things for a barbecue. Oh, my. It was like a Hollywood grocery store. Diana calls it Fry's Disneyland. They have everything, and it's way too beautiful to be a grocery shopping experience. I am still in awe of the fruit displays. It looked like a wedding banquet. I wish I had taken a picture! We got the grill ready just in time--it gets dark in Phoenix about 7:00 now, and barbecued steaks, and I made creamed corn and mashed potatoes. We cozied up on the couch for a movie I brought from home--Chocolat, and went to bed later than usual! Thursday was our last day in Phoenix, and we shopped at Kierland, I think, had lunch at Olive Garden, went to Target and Wal-Mart to look for a gift for Carson, and headed home to pack. Later in the evening we heated up some leftovers, played Farkel, and Kirk and Diana came to wish us well with a champagne toast. What a lovely, lovely week, not even spoiled by the the flights home being a little weird. Sat next to a businessman from Phoenix to Denver who looked the other way when I said good morning, then spent the entire flight highlighting his manuscript and elbowing me. Rude, rude, rude!!! I said extra prayers for him...Then on the Denver to Hays flight there were two gals who were outrageously loud and brazen. I think they had been in the bar a few hours. My ears plugged up and hurt badly, so it was not pleasant, but I had my great memories to hang onto! We got home and discovered a breaker was off when I couldn't get my computer on. When I turned it on, it fried a wall outlet where our fireplace space heater is in the kitchen. There was black smoke on the wall! We called an electrician and got it fixed right away. Thank you Jesus! Except for the squirrels which had taken up residence in our attic and the small wall fire, we were in pretty good shape. Spent the evening watching a movie, and today unpacking and doing laundry. Back to reality! I am going to save money for my next trip, and hope Michelle & Scott and Chelsea & John don't move in a different direction. I think one couple out of town is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment